Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Change of Plans

Yesterday I went to the doctor. It was the standard 36 week appointment, which marks the time where I will start going every week instead of every two. My appointment was at 3:30. After an ultrasound, blood work and some resting time, I left the doctor at 5:30 with a cease and desist order to stop working immediately because of gestational hypertension (high blood pressure), which was quickly turning into preeclampsia. Since preeclampsia is dangerous to both me and to Ryan, I am now on bedrest for the next week, but likely the remainder of my pregnancy.

My symptoms were pretty textbook: severe swelling (pitting, where you can leave indentations) all up my legs, constant headache, rapid weight gain (10 pounds in a little over a week!), heart palpitations and high blood pressure (145/92). I knew something was not completely right, but I did not expect this.

I will be monitored closely over the next week. I am collecting urine samples today (ew!) and will drop them off tomorrow and do more blood work. Friday we will do a nonstress test to see how Ryan is doing (the ultrasound yesterday was great and he is estimated to be about 7 pounds), and then on Tuesday we will do another ultrasound and meet with the doctor to talk about whether I will remain on bedrest, be allowed to work or discuss induction. The doctor wants to get to 38 weeks, at least, to give Ryan another week of “plumping up” and I’d like to make it to 39, if possible.

After resting all day today (just getting up to go to the bathroom, to shower and to eat), my swelling is almost completely gone in my ankles and feet and my legs are slowly going back to normal. My heart is not skipping beats, my headache is gone and I feel a lot better overall. I’m hopeful that we can control this through bedrest and that Ryan can stay put for another two weeks.

So, for now, Lola and I are spending our days on the couch. I have a list of books on reserve at the library that Jeff is going to pick up for me tomorrow, and I am trying to make sure all my loose ends at work are tied up. After the past month of going going going, it’s kind of nice to just lay around and read and nap all day long!

No comments:

Post a Comment